EDRi-gram 14.05, 9 March 2016
- The lobby-tomy 2: What was the lobbying about?
- Italy, net neutrality law proposal under consideration
- Do privacy and the open Internet cause gambling debt in Sweden?
- Joint civil society statement on counter-terrorism and human rights
- UK's mass surveillance law being rushed through legislative process
- ENDitorial: PNR - political finger-pointing, no viable legislation
- ENDitorial: Is “privacy” still relevant in a world of bastard data?
- Why the US Judicial Redress Act is worthless
- EU commission goes into denial mode regarding effect ISDS on software patents
- Publication of Error 451 as an RFC
- The Secrets of Surveillance Capitalism
- Facebook is eating the world
- The Case That Won't Be Forgotten
- First report of the UN Special Rapporteur on privacy (.doc)
"Internet users should be in charge of their Internet connections. Instead, however, Internet access providers increasingly undermine this expectation and limit our online communications and behaviour. They do this, for example, by blocking or restricting access to certain kinds of online services, content and applications. The “Respect My Net” platform will allow individuals to report such abusive behaviour by Internet access providers."http://respectmynet.eu/
"The Open Web Fellows program — a collaboration between the Ford Foundation and Mozilla — is an international leadership initiative that brings together the best emerging technology talent and civil society organizations to protect the open Web."https://advocacy.mozilla.org/open-web-fellows/
Applications will close on 20 March – watch Mozilla’s website for updates.
Public consultation on the public-private partnership on cybersecurity and possible accompanying measures"The European Commission seeks stakeholders' views on the areas of work of the future cybersecurity public-private partnership as well as on potential additional policy measures that could stimulate the European cybersecurity industry. The consultation is open until 11 March 2016."https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/news/public-consultation-public-private-partnership-cybersecurity-and-possible-accompanying-measures
EDRi's tool to assist citizens to respond to the public consultation on the evaluation and modernisation of the legal framework for the enforcement of “intellectual property rights” (IPR). The deadline to submit responses using this tool is 7 April. However, you can use the Commission's tool to respond until 15 April 2016.http://youcan.fixcopyright.eu/limesurvey/index.php/829127?lang=en
11.03.2016 The Logan CIJ Symposium – Challenge Power! Building alliances against secrecy, surveillance & censorship.Berlin Congress Center, Berlin
22.03.2016 Screening: A Good AmericanBrussels
30.03.2016 Crypto Summit 2.0San Francisco, California, United States
30.03.2016 RightsConSan Francisco, California, United States
08.04.2016 International Journalism FestivalPerugia, Italy
20.04.2016 The 7th Biannual Surveillance and Society ConferenceBarcelona, Spain