Calyx Institute is lookig for Interim Executive Director
The Calyx Institute is a U.S.-based whose mission is to educate the public about privacy in digital communications and to develop tools that anyone can use to build "privacy by design" into their internet access. By developing encryption and anonymity tools that can help users maintain their privacy, we hope to make online security easier and more accessible for everyone online.
June 2, 2023
Roles and responsibilities
The Interim Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of Calyx’s finances, operations and programmatic activities. Duties will include:
- Working to center DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging) analysis and strategy in all aspects of Calyx’s work and strategy
- Working with the Calyx bookkeeper to ensure proper accounting, reporting and compliance
- Working with Operations Director to oversee Human Resources, contracting, policy development
- Working with Director of Memberships to enable ongoing delivery of all members services and benefits, and growth to our overall membership base
- Working with the Director of Engineering to ensure that Engineering is able to effectively support Calyx’s programmatic and mission objectives
- Developing policies and ensuring their execution to ensure the organization operates effectively
- Working with the board, President, program directors and staff to ensure Calyx programs and activities are fulfilling the mission of the organization
In addition to the day-to-day management oversight, the Interim Executive Director will work with the Calyx Board to review the overall state of the organization, assessing strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats as the organization maps out plans and priorities for our next phase of growth.
Skills and Experience required
The ideal candidate will possess:
- At least 5 years of nonprofit leadership experience
- Strong interpersonal communications skills and passion for leadership accountability to staff
- Ability to establish and maintain the conditions for success at all levels within the organization. That includes a focus on developing policies to ensure the organization operates effectively while achieving a positive working culture.
- Rich understanding and substantial experience in DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging) work, and a commitment to centering DEIB priorities in all aspects of Calyx’s work and strategy
- Proven leadership track record, able to tap into the knowledge and experience of the board and staff while also charting an organizational vision for long term strategy and growth.
- Financial leadership, understanding the full range of internal business operations and external financial landscape
- Passion for ensuring compliance oversight in collaboration with other organization leaders
- Deep knowledge of HR best practices, including hiring, setting compensation and benefits policies
- Strong public-facing communications and community relations skills
- Advocate for human rights defenders, journalists, activists, open source, and internet privacy privacy.