Deadline extended: EDRi is hiring for Communications and Campaigns Intern (Paid)
Are you changing careers and looking to enter the digital rights field? Are you done with your studies and want to learn more about digital technologies and their impact on people’s rights? Do you have experience in communicating for change and the technical skills we’re looking for? Join EDRi now and become a superhero for the defence of our rights and freedoms online! If you are eager to learn and develop in the field, apply for the position today!
Hours of work
August 14, 2022
European Digital Rights (EDRi) is an international not-for-profit association of 47+ digital human rights organisations. We envision a world in which people live with dignity and vitality in the digital age. We aim to create a fair and open digital environment that enables everyone to flourish and thrive to their fullest potential. We advocate for robust and enforced laws, inform and mobilise people, promote a healthy and accountable technology market and build a movement of organisations and individuals committed to digital rights and freedoms in a connected world.
Are you changing careers and looking to enter the digital rights field? Are you done with your studies and want to learn more about digital technologies and their impact on people’s rights? Do you have experience in communicating for change and the technical skills we’re looking for?
Join EDRi now and become a superhero for the defence of our rights and freedoms online! If you are eager to learn and develop in the field, apply for the position today!
The EDRi Brussels office is currently looking for an intern to join our communications and campaigns team. The internship will focus on learning and supporting efforts related to EDRi website, social media, publications, visual design, the production of written materials and monitoring the impact of communications and campaigns. Within the communications and campaigns team, the selected intern will work with 5 colleagues, in close collaboration with the policy colleagues leading on specific files, as well as with the broader EDRi team and EDRi members.
This is your chance to learn about digital rights and work with our passionate team of digital rights activists supporting efforts across Europe to build a better digital future.
- Deadline to apply:14 August 2022, 23:59 CEST
- Contract: internship, for a period of 6 months (with the possibility of extension)
- Start date (expected): mid-September 2022
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Reports to: Head of Communications and Campaigns
- Salary: EUR 1200 (according to Belgian “convention d’immersion professionnelle”)
Key responsibilities for the role:
- Social media: assist in creating and maintaining the content calendar, posting and scheduling content for social media platforms, managing followers’ inquiries
- Monitoring and reporting: monitor social media impact and press mentions for EDRi general communications and EDRi ongoing campaigns
- Website: assist in adding new content on the EDRi WordPress website, updating existing content and labelling
- Newsletter & mailings: formatting and sending the bi-weekly newsletter, press releases and fundraising mailings through CiviCRM
- Ad-hoc: Assist in other communications and campaigns tasks, such as maintenance of mailing lists, designing and adapting simple visuals based on pre-existing templates
Needed skills and experience:
- Experience in social media content management and social media performance reporting
- Experience with platforms and services for managing mailing lists and sending mass email campaigns
- Basic layout, photo and visual editing skills (ideally familiar with the adobe suite)
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- Knowledge of website content management systems (WordPress)
- Ability to prioritise, multi-task and strong time management skills
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills
- Proactive problem-solver
- Interest in online activism and campaigning for digital human rights
- Knowledge of open-source software such as Matomo, Mattermost, Thunderbird, Libre Office, CiviCRM
- Knowledge of accessibility for communicating inclusively
What we offer:
- Remuneration of up to EUR1200 euros a month (Belgian internship scheme contract)
- 2 days off a month
- A chance to learn a lot about digital rights policy and developments
- Work with a young, versatile and passionate team of experts
- Get to know national and international organisations working on digital rights
- Be an active and valued member of the Campaigns and Communications team
- Be part of an organisation that centres equity and justice
- Plenty of training opportunities
- Mentorship to support your professional development journey
- Possibility for remote work with flexible hours and work-for-home options
- Possibility to do this internship alongside your studies – as long as a balance between the hours can be found
How to apply:
To apply please submit your answer in this form by midnight on Sunday, 14 August 2022. Due to limited capacity, we are only able to contact successful candidates.
As an organisation EDRi is committed to protecting and upholding the digital rights of all, and addressing discrimination, oppression and inequality. We are currently co-leading a process aimed at decolonising the digital rights field in Europe. As an employer, we strive to have a working environment grounded in equity, inclusion and justice. We, therefore, encourage individual members of marginalised groups to apply for this post. We also encourage candidates to apply for the position even if they do not meet all the criteria.
We process the personal data relating to your application for recruitment purposes. The data controller is EDRi, 12 rue Belliard, Brussels. We do not share your personal data with third parties.
Applications will be deleted one month after the recruitment procedure is completed and the selected applicant has started their position.
As an exception, notified shortlisted and interviewed candidates’ applications will be kept for a period of one year. You may ask us at any time to delete your information before the end of this one-year period.
You are interested but have questions for us?