Internews is hiring for an anti-censorship technologist
Internews is a non-profit, non-partisan organization with 40 years of experience in media development across the world. Internews supports independent journalism in 100+ countries, helping media outlets reach millions of people with quality information.
- Coordinate internally and with partners to support tracking, data gathering, analysis of, and any available countermeasures to censorship events.
- Build threat models with anti-censorship tool development grantees.
- Assist development teams with the integration of anti-censorship tools or protocols into their software, such as the use of Tor, Psiphon, and/or Lantern.
- Deploy, monitor, and maintain servers running tools for network measurement.
- Contribute to the quarterly reports in accordance with donor requirements summarizing project activities, providing an update on the local context, and highlighting gaps or challenges.
- Work with the project team to ensure project activity planning, implementation, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation activities are rolled out in a timely manner, to a high standard of quality.
- Support business development efforts by contributing to the design and development of opportunities for new programs.
- In all duties, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- A track record of using strong methodologies in network monitoring, reporting, and analysis in line with approaches adopted by the internet freedom community.
- Experience administrating Linux-based infrastructure in public and private cloud and virtualized environments.
- Solid understanding of the Internet’s building blocks (IP, DNS, SSL/TLS, etc.), as well as how these are leveraged in censorship tactics and anti-censorship methods.
- Installation, configuration, and management of network monitoring tools such as OONI probes.
- Use of at least one hosted, FOSS VPN solution (Outline, Streisand, Algo, etc.).
- Ability to use two or more scripting and/or programming languages such as Go, Rust, Swift to gather and analyze data.
- Ability to automate, correlate, and analyze data collection from diverse sources.
- Comfort with a wide variety of tools and ability to adapt and learn where needed.
- An ethical, transparent, and community-focused approach to work.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize a shifting workload, sometimes with tight deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team, to plan for flexibility at the program design and implementation levels, and to handle change.
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Professional-level fluency in English.
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at joining a supportive, skilled, multi-cultural team that is distributed across the globe.
- Ability to explain complex technical subjects in lay language with those who have a less technical background.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon. This is a limited-term consultancy, with an expected end date in July 2023.