New devices are being developed and increasingly these technologies have the ability to connect to the internet and communicate between them. These devices, while making our life easier in many aspects, they also create new threats to your privacy. We are explaining in our series of blogposts on privacy the freedoms that are under threat.
European legislation protecting your personal data (the General Data Protection Regulation and Law Enforcement Directive on Data Protection) has been recently updated, but the battle to keep your information safe is not over yet. The European Union is revising its legislation on data protection, privacy and confidentiality of communications in the electronic communications environment: the e-Privacy Directive. This piece of legislation contains specific rules related to your freedoms in the online environment.
This new battle for our freedoms starts once the European Commission will publish its proposal on the e-Privacy Directive on 11 Januar 2017. In this document pool we will be listing all the relevant documents as they are made public. This will allow you to follow the developments on the review of the Directive:
- Leak on the draft proposal for the revision of the e-Privacy Directive (12.12.2016)
- Proposal for a REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL concerning the respect for private life and the protection of personal data in electronic communications and repealing Directive 2002/58/EC (Regulation on Privacy and Electronic Communications (10.01.2017)
Consultations, reports, studies, events:
- EDRi’s response to the public consultation on the evaluation and Review of the ePrivacy Directive (05.07.2016)
- EDPS Opinion on the revision of the e-Privacy Directive (22.07.2016)
- Summary report on the public consultation on the Evaluation and Review of the ePrivacy Directive (04.08.2016)
- EuroBarometer on ePrivacy (12.12.2016)
- European Commission: ePrivacy: consultations show confidentiality of communications and the challenge of new technologies are key questions (12.12.2016)
- REFIT and Impact assessments (10.01.2017)
Read more about privacy and e-Privacy Directive:
e-Privacy Directive: Frequently Asked Questions
Your privacy, security and freedom online are in danger (September-December 2016)