The current European copyright system is broken. We need to repair it as soon as possible, in a way that respects the rights and values of European citizens and creators – not only those of intermediaries such as publishers, record companies or collecting societies!
The European Commission has set in its agenda reforming copyright as one of the foundations to build the Digital Single Market. We welcome the attempt to do so because EU’s copyright legislation is outdated. However, given the dangerous threats which are present in the proposal launched by the European Commission (see here), we will need to monitor the developments of the proposal very closely.
In this document pool we will be adding all the relevant documents on the EU copyright reform that will be published or leaked. This will allow you to follow the developments of this crucial file for EU citizens’ rights to access to culture, and to their freedom of expression. It will also serve as a reference throughout the process.
- Proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on copyright in the Digital Single Market (14.09.2016)
Dossier in the European Parliament:
- Copyright proposal dossier in the European Parliament http://www.europarl.europa.eu/oeil/popups/ficheprocedure.do?lang=&reference=2016/0280(COD)
- CULT Committee DRAFT OPINION on the proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on copyright in the Digital Single Market (06.02.2017)
Timeline of the proposal in the European Parliament: http://www.comodinicachia.com/timeline.html
Consultations, reports, studies, events.
- Frequently Asked Questions on copyright project by EUIPO.
- EDRi’s response to the public consultation on the role of publishers in the copyright value chain and on the ‘panorama exception’
- European Commission’s report on the public consultation (not published)
- Impact Assessment on the modernisation of EU copyright rules
- Eurobarometer report Internet users’ preferences for accessing content online and country factsheets
- Synopsis report on the Panorama exception
- Synopsis report on the ancillary copyright
- Synopsis reports in other languages and contributions to both consultations on the panorama exception and ancillary copyright.
- Event organised by EDRi and Communia on 8 September 2016 (summary and video).
- Letter from 30 academics to EU institutions: https://peepbeep.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/30-september-2016-openlettercommission-w-s1.pdf
- A Brief Exegesis of the Proposed Copyright Directive paper prepared by Sophie Stalla-Bourdillon, Eleonora Rosati, Karmen Turk, Christina Angelopoulos, Aleksandra Kuczerawy, Miquel Peguera, Martin Husovec.
- Guide for the perplexed, prepared along with Communia. Analysis on the main aspects of the proposal.
- Analysis on article 13.
Read more about the copyright reform:
Towards a corporate copyright reform in the EU? (31.08.2016)
Copyfails: Time to #fixcopyright!